I am a Professor of Economics at the London School of Economics and a Research Associate at the Centre for Economic Performance.
Research Interests: Labour Economics, Economics of Education, Applied Econometrics.
Mail: CEP, LSE, Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Email: s.pischke at lse.ac.uk
Office: 32 Lincoln's Inn Fields, Room 2.16
Empirical Methods Short Course:
BENA Berlin Feb 2010
Resources for PhD Students
Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion
Go to the book website
Princeton University Press, 2009
(with Joshua Angrist)
Mastering 'Metrics: The Path from Cause to Effect
Go to the book website
Princeton University Press, 2015
(with Joshua Angrist)
- "Of Mice and Merchants: Trade and Growth in the Iron Age," May 2017 (with Stephan Maurer and Ferdinand Rauch).
- "Poorly Measured Confounders are More Useful on the Left Than on the Right," NBER Working Paper 23232, March 2017 (with Zhuan Pei and Hannes Schwandt). Latest version. This paper draws on material in "A Cautionary Note on Using Industry Affliliation to Predict Income," NBER Working Paper 18384 September 2012 (with Hannes Schwandt).
- "Does Rosie Like Riveting? Male and Female Occupational Choices," NBER Working Paper 22495, August 2016 (with Grace Lordan). Appendix
"Money and Happiness: Evidence from the Industry Wage Structure," NBER Working Paper 17056, May 2011.
"Comprehensive Versus Selective Schooling in England and Wales: What Do We Know?" NBER Working Paper 12176, April 2006 (with Alan Manning).
- "Unions and the Labor Market for Managers," CEPR Working Paper 2418, April 2000 (with John DiNardo and Kevin Hallock).
- "Wage Flexibility and Employment Fluctuations: Evidence from the Housing Sector," NBER Working Paper 22496, August 2016, forthcoming Economica.
- "Undergraduate Econometrics Instruction: Through our Classes, Darkly," Journal of Economic Perspectives 31, Spring 2017, 125-144 (with Joshua Angrist).
- "The Credibility Revolution in Empirical Economics: How Better Research Design is Taking the Con out of Econometrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives 24, Spring 2010, 3-30 (with Joshua Angrist)
"Peer Effects in European Primary Schools: Evidence from PIRLS," Journal of Labor Economics 27, July 2009, 315-348 (with Andreas Ammermueller). Supplemental material on size and power
- "The Returns to Apprenticeship Training in Austria: Evidence from Failed Firms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics 104, December 2008, 733-753
(with Josef Fersterer and Rudolf Winter-Ebmer)
"Zero Returns to Compulsory Schooling in Germany: Evidence and Interpretation," Review of Economics and Statistics 90, August 2008, 592-598
Longer working paper version, April 2006
(with Till von Wachter).
"The Impact of Length of the School Year on Student Performance and Earnings: Evidence from the German Short School Years," Economic Journal 117, Oct. 2007, 1216-1242. Longer working paper version.
"Comments on 'Workplace Training in Europe' by Bassanini et al.," in: G. Brunello, P. Garibaldi, E. Wasmer (eds.) Education and Training in Europe, Oxford University Press 2007, 330-342.
"Labor Market Institutions, Wages, and Investment: Review and Implications," CESifo Economic Studies 51, 1/2005, 47-75.
- "Minimum Wages and On-the-job Training," Research in Labor Economics 22, 2003, 159-202 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Continuous Training in Germany," Journal of Population Economics 14, Sept. 2001, 523-548.
- "Changes in the Wage Structure, Family Income, and Children's Education," European Economic Review 45, May 2001, 890-904 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Certification of Training and Training Outcomes," European Economic Review 44, May 2000, 917-927 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Journal of Political Economy 107, June 1999, 539-572 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets" Economic Journal Features 109, February 1999, F112-F142 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Observations and Conjectures on the U.S. Employment Miracle," in Third Public GAAC Symposium: Labor Markets in the USA and Germany, Bonn: German-American Academic Council, 1998, 99-126 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Testing for Liquidity Constraints in Euler Equations with Complementary Data Sources," Review of Economics and Statistics 80, May 1998, 251-262 (with Tullio Jappelli and Nicholas Souleles).
- "Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," Quarterly Journal of Economics 113, Feb. 1998, 79-119 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Employment Effects of Immigration to Germany: An Analysis Based on Local Labor Markets," Review of Economics and Statistics 79, Nov 1997, 594-604 (with Johannes Velling).
- "The Returns to Computer Use Revisited: Have Pencils Changed the Wage Structure Too?" Quarterly Journal of Economics 112, Feb. 1997, 291-303 (with John DiNardo).
- "A Statistical Analysis of Crime Against Foreigners in Unified Germany," Journal of Human Resources 32, Winter 1997, 182-209 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Econometrica 63, July 1995, 805-840.
- "A Comparison of East and West German Labor Markets Before and After Unification," in R. Freeman and L. Katz (eds.) Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, Chicago: University of Chicago Press,1995, 405-455 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Measurement Error and Earnings Dynamics: Some Estimates from the PSID Validation Study," Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 13, July 1995, 304-314.
- "The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation," Journal of Labor Economics 10, Oct. 1992, 412-437 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Measuring Persistence in the Presence of Trend Breaks: The Case of U.S. GNP," Economics Letters 36, Aug. 1991, 379-384.
- No office hours right now.