Position: Professor of Economics, London School of Economics.
Research Interests: Labour Economics, Economics of Education, Applied Econometrics.
Mail: CEP, LSE, Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Email: s.pischke at lse.ac.uk
Office: 32 Lincoln's Inn Fields, Room 2.16
Secretarial Support: Linda Cleavely, R459, Tel: 44-(0)20-7955-7049
Empirical Methods Short Course:
BENA Berlin Feb 2010
Resources for PhD Students
Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion
Go to the book website
Princeton University Press, 2009
(with Joshua Angrist)
- "The Credibility Revolution in Empirical Economics: How Better Research Design is Taking the Con out of Econometrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives 24, Spring 2010, 3-30 (with Joshua Angrist)
"Peer Effects in European Primary Schools: Evidence from PIRLS," Journal of Labor Economics 27, July 2009, 315-348 (with Andreas Ammermueller). Supplemental material on size and power
- "The Returns to Apprenticeship Training in Austria: Evidence from Failed Firms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics 104, December 2008, 733-753
(with Josef Fersterer and Rudolf Winter-Ebmer)
"Zero Returns to Compulsory Schooling in Germany: Evidence and Interpretation," Review of Economics and Statistics 90, August 2008, 592-598
Longer working paper version, April 2006
(with Till von Wachter).
"The Impact of Length of the School Year on Student Performance and Earnings: Evidence from the German Short School Years," Economic Journal 117, Oct. 2007, 1216-1242. Longer working paper version.
"Comments on 'Workplace Training in Europe' by Bassanini et al.," in: G. Brunello, P. Garibaldi, E. Wasmer (eds.) Education and Training in Europe, Oxford University Press 2007, 330-342.
"Labor Market Institutions, Wages, and Investment: Review and Implications," CESifo Economic Studies 51, 1/2005, 47-75.
- "Minimum Wages and On-the-job Training," Research in Labor Economics 22, 2003, 159-202 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Continuous Training in Germany," Journal of Population Economics 14, Sept. 2001, 523-548.
- "Changes in the Wage Structure, Family Income, and Children's Education," European Economic Review 45, May 2001, 890-904 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Journal of Political Economy 107, June 1999, 539-572 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets" Economic Journal Features 109, February 1999, F112-F142 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Observations and Conjectures on the U.S. Employment Miracle," in Third Public GAAC Symposium: Labor Markets in the USA and Germany, Bonn: German-American Academic Council, 1998, 99-126 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Testing for Liquidity Constraints in Euler Equations with Complementary Data Sources," Review of Economics and Statistics 80, May 1998, 251-262 (with Tullio Jappelli and Nicholas Souleles).
- "Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," Quarterly Journal of Economics 113, Feb. 1998, 79-119 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "The Returns to Computer Use Revisited: Have Pencils Changed the Wage Structure Too?" Quarterly Journal of Economics 112, Feb. 1997, 291-303 (with John DiNardo).
- "A Statistical Analysis of Crime Against Foreigners in Unified Germany," Journal of Human Resources 32, Winter 1997, 182-209 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Econometrica 63, July 1995, 805-840.
- I am on leave 2012/13 and currently have no office hours.